I recently assisted a client with a very specific issue which was stopping the SCCM Console from loading.
During my investigation I found there was no suitably ranked article and so here is the issue outline and resolution.
Key error codes:-
- In ‘Windows Logs\Application and Service Logs\Microsoft\Windows\WMI-Activity’ log you see event source WMI-Activity Event 5857 – ExtnProv provider started with result code 0x80041013 extnprov.dll
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Configuration Manager 2012 R2
- Opening the SCCM Console just hangs until the error page is shown.
- Within the …\AdminConsole\AdminUILog (with verbose enabled) WMI errors are shown “unknown error”.
- Permissions for the ….\Configuration Manager\Bin and Logs directory did not include BUILTIN\System (Blocks DLL and Logging Access)
- AV Scanner was doing real time monitoring within the SCCM Data folder (Slows and reduces WMI access performance)
- Grant BUILTIN\SYSTEM full control permissions to BIN and LOGS directory within Configuration Manager.
- Exclude the SCCM Data directory from AV Scanners.